Shapeways is a website designed to unleash your creativity, rendering your artwork in tangible, three-dimensional form. What could be more nerdy than that?! Use the Shapeways Creator to fiddle around with your own photos or text and make a truly personalized item like cufflinks, a touchpad stylus, a Photoshaper (3D like a topographical map), or Lightpoem. I decided to make a Lightpoem using the name of my blog, Superdumb Supervillain.

Some of the examples on Shapeways show a favorite quote or inspirational lyric, also. You choose your font and watch it spiral into a 3D candleholder. It's a conversation starter, for sure, but I think for the cost (app. $50) they could throw in a little LED votive.

If you're not feeling super creative, you could always use the Shapeways Co-Creator platform to team up with a designer on a custom piece. You can also browse and buy what others have been making in the Shapeways Shops. I'd really like to try my hand at jewelry design one of these days and this would be great way to test the waters without spending all the money on fabricating.

Disclosure: I received a $50 gift certificate to try Shapeways out. My opinions are, as always, my own.

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

I've never seen anything quite like this.  Very cool - thanks for the head's up!
Okay, that is just plain cool!
I will definitely go back when I have more time to play around. I love some of the jewelry, great cast rings and earrings…

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mom Spark.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service