The house has been filled the theme song of Captain Planet since the DVDs came in the mail. For those that may not remember the environmentally friendly cartoon of the early 90‘s, it centered around a group of five young adults dubbed "the Planeteers."

Gaia, the spirit of the Earth, gave each person a ring with the power of the elements: water, wind, fire and earth and a fifth ring with the power of heart. The Planeteers were charged with stopping evil villains bent on destroying the world through pollution.

If the group get in a little too much hot water, they could combine their powers to create Captain Planet. The "green" superhero that has almost infinite powers, but becomes weakened when he comes into contact with any pollution.

The cartoon was the brain child of media mogul, Ted Turner, and he recruited the brightest stars of the decade to take part in the series. Whoopi Goldberg voiced Gaia, Levar Burton was a Planeteer, Tim Curry played a computer, and a bevy of stars played the evil villains including Dean Stockwell, Meg Ryan, Jeff Goldblum, Martin Sheen and James Coburn.

The first season was all about getting to know the Planeteers, their mission and the evil forces they were against. Each episode centered around a type of pollution and always ended with a moral about being green and saving the planet. In many ways, Captain Planet was ahead of its time, and would be right at home in this decade of green living and alternative power.

My children absolutely love this cartoon and I can honestly say they want to watch it over and over and over again. It’s actually one that I don’t mind because unlike Spongebob Squarepants, they actually learn something.

The plot lines are a little cheesy and the humor is perfect for kids, but adults will get the various pop culture references that are slipped in. It’s a lot like a kid-friendly watered-down superhero Shrek.

Captain Planet lasted from 1990-1996, which is a pretty good run for any kids show. The first season will be out on DVD on April 19th, so you'll be able to share the adventures of Captain Planet and the Planteers with your children. Remember, The Power Is Yours.

Oh...and as a sidenote...Captain Planet totally has my vote because he's blue and rocks a green mullet. Just sayin.

Disclaimer: My family received a copy of Captain Planet: Season One for review, at no cost to us. All opinions are my own.

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

Great review!  My son is enjoying Captain Planet as well.
Thank you. It was a total pleasure. My boys love it, and want to be Planeteers. What mom can be upset with that? My middle guy, who's had a little trouble with speech development, can sing the song nearly word for word, and now changes lyrics to Captain Mommy while he's singing it around the house. So fun.
"Captain Mommy, she's a hero..."

Jessi Arias-Cooper said:
Thank you. It was a total pleasure. My boys love it, and want to be Planeteers. What mom can be upset with that? My middle guy, who's had a little trouble with speech development, can sing the song nearly word for word, and now changes lyrics to Captain Mommy while he's singing it around the house. So fun.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Mom Spark.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service